Tuesday

Storm and Fury (The Harbinger #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

TITLE: Storm and Fury
AUTHOR: Jennifer L. Armentrout
RATING: 5 Stars
PAGES: 512
PUBLISHER: Inkyard Press
SERIES: The Harbinger #1
SOURCE: eArc kindly provided by author
Eighteen-year-old Trinity Marrow may be going blind, but she can see and communicate with ghosts and spirits. Her unique gift is part of a secret so dangerous that she’s been in hiding for years in an isolated compound fiercely guarded by Wardens—gargoyle shape-shifters who protect humankind from demons. If the demons discover the truth about Trinity, they’ll devour her, flesh and bone, to enhance their own powers.

When Wardens from another clan arrive with disturbing reports that something out there is killing both demons and Wardens, Trinity’s safe world implodes. Not the least because one of the outsiders is the most annoying and fascinating person she’s ever met. Zayne has secrets of his own that will upend her world yet again—but working together becomes imperative once demons breach the compound and Trinity’s secret comes to light. To save her family and maybe the world, she’ll have to put her trust in Zayne. But all bets are off as a supernatural war is unleashed… 
(synopsis taken from Goodreads)

I want to start off by saying that yes this is a spin-off of The Dark Element series. It's not completely necessary to read that trilogy before starting this one but I personally believe you will come in with a better understanding of the world and some of the familiar faces if you do :). BONUS is you see a hot demon and our fave Stoney in that first trilogy.

I loved this book so much, I kept putting of reading it because I knew that once I picked it up I wouldn't want it to end and I was so right. We get to see an expansion of the world we're first introduced to in The Dark Elements series and it's finally detailed out more and we see a side of the world we didn't really get to see before, so many more doors were opened.

My little fangirl heart also appreciated seeing some familiar faces that I adore. I will say I wasn't always the biggest fan of Zayne in the original trilogy mostly because I felt like we never truly got to know him, it just seemed like there was so much more to him than we were given. However, after reading this book, I can now honestly say that I love Zayne and who he is as a character. We're finally able to see him blossom in a way and see more to him, he's no longer just that teenager who does whatever he's told no matter the costs.

Trinity holds a special place in my heart. She's so relatable, and honestly surprisingly reminded me a bit of Layla in just how she's attempting to be at least a semi-normal teenage girl. It's also important to point out the own voices factor here as Trinity suffers from a condition that the author herself has, it gives us a close up view of what it's really like and the struggles they both go through and face. I have such a respect for them now especially after reading this book. 

I don't want to give away any spoils but I will say that I ship Zayne and Trinity so hard, and I just think the way their relationship is developing is such an incredible thing to witness. There are also some heart-stopping romantic lines in here that had me smiling like a goof. I cannot say enough good things about it, I am SO READY for book two!

No comments:

Post a Comment