Wednesday

The Dead List by Jennifer L. Armentrout

TITLE: The Dead List
AUTHOR: Jennifer L. Armentrout
RATING: 5 Stars
PAGES: 304
SOURCE: ebook provided by Author in exchange for honest review
It's Ella's senior year of high school and she and her best friend Linds plan to make it the best year ever. At Brock Cochran's end of summer pool party, the girls vow to have as much fun as possible before they head off to different colleges next fall. But when Ella is mysteriously attacked on her way home from the party, everything changes. Ella's carefree senior year plans disintegrate as she finds herself at the center of an attempted murder investigation.

Ella tries to move on, but her attacker isn't done yet. He shows himself in the form of horrifying signs and symbols: a clown mask strewn on her bed, a dead bird in her backpack, a shadow moving past her window in the night. And as the weeks pass, it turns out that Ella isn't the only one being tormented.

With the help of an old flame, Jensen Carver, and her friends and family, Ella tries to attain some sense of normalcy, but she can't seem to shake the feeling that there's a dark pattern hidden in the killer's every move. Suddenly, even those in her innermost circle seem suspicious. In her seemingly safe West Virginia town, Ella starts to wonder who she can trust.

(synopsis taken from Goodreads)


** As a note The Dead List was originally released on Wattpad in 2015 but is now being re-released as a newly edited book, even if you've read it before I recommend picking it up again because there are changes!**

Let me start off by saying I never read horror or anything that might cause me to freak out the next time I hear a sound when I’m in the shower. Leave it to my devotion to Jennifer L Armentrout though to cause me to read not just one, but two thriller/horror books this year with the first being Till Death (which by the way is amazing). But I am SO glad that I’ve branched out of my reading norm and read The Dead List!

We’re introduced to our main character Ella who has a haunted past as a survivor. As Ella enters her senior year of high school things begin happening that are far from coincidental. Items are left in her home and other students begin mysteriously disappearing from her school. Enter Jensen (Ackles of course...jk) Carver who is Ella’s past crush and an all around hottie. Together with Jensen she begins to learn self defense vowing to never be a victim again.

I think one of the things I appreciate most about Ella is that she is a fighter. She isn’t necessarily fearless (because come on who wouldn’t be shaking in their slippers?) but she’s not willing to give up or let herself be weak. I admire that a lot in Ella and I have to admit I now have a new book boyfriend in Jensen!

Even if you’re wary of suspense and horror stories I highly recommend this book! It moves at a great pace and even though I was legit scared at times I was overall so glad I read it!





No comments:

Post a Comment