Wednesday

EPHEMERAL by Addison Moore


TITLE: Ephemeral
AUTHOR: Addison Moore
RATING: 5 Stars
PAGES: ebook
PUBLISHER: Self-published by Author
SERIES: The Countenance
SOURCE: Recieved from Author



Summary:
The last thing Laken Stewart remembers is the oncoming car, then bursting through the windshield. 

Two months dissolve without her knowledge and she finds herself in unfamiliar surroundings with strangers who not only profess to know her but insist she’s someone else entirely. 

Laken discovers her long dead boyfriend, Wesley, has been thrown into this alternate world as well. He is quick to inform her she suffered a horrible fall and that her memory hasn’t fully returned. According to Wesley the other life she had—her name, her family, they were simply a side effect of her brain trauma. 

In her quest for answers she meets Cooper Flanders, the son of her psychiatrist who readily believes every word she says. 

Laken Stewart knows she died on that hot July afternoon, but now she’s alive—or is she?

(synopsis taken from Goodreads)


First I'd like to start off by saying this is the first book of Addison Moore's I've ever read, and I was amazed and impressed! The book has all the elements that makes it not only memorable, but breath-taking as well: mystery, yummy boys, a girl named Laken (hehe) and the ability to make a reader pause, and really try to grasp what's occurring. 

Within the first four pages Ephemeral had me making a confused face and saying "huh?" I re-read the beginning few pages just to make sure I hadn't missed something .And that is certainly a first for me (in a good way)! I felt just as confused as Laken. I mean you come to running through a forest when you're positive you died? Whhaaaat? But it grabbed my attention. Addison Moore really, in an amazing, detailed, and believable way makes you feel the emotions Laken does. I felt extremely connected to the character of Laken Stewart because from the very beginning you are able to go "wait a minute.." with her! 

I think another favorite portion of this book for me is the yummy guys. I mean, who doesn't love tall dark and handsome and supposedly dead boyfriends? I don't really see Wes, Laken's "dead" (who's not really dead?) boyfriend as a 'bad' character. In fact, I believe he's really rather innocent. But he's, in my opinion, no competition for Cooper, who will make many female readers and fall in love with the boy who saves Laken, understands her, and supports her. Plus the fact that he's tall, dark, handsome, and mysterious. I was curious about Cooper from the beginning, he snagged my attention, and I love how Addison presented him to us so quickly instead of making us read chapters before allowing him to appear. I'm all for spurr of the moment/intense moments for characters to meet so, way to go Addison Moore!

It does have the typical bad or 'evil' characters - blonde cheerleaders out to wreak doom. But considering the setting is at a boarding type school, I can see why cheerleaders are the bad guys in this situation. I also can't help but feel slightly annoyed by the character of Jen, an older sibling to Laken. I will also honestly say that I'm am not a fan of love triangles, and it's easy to see there is a sorta kinda one in the book. But, I think our girl Laken will come around, plus it's not a lot of back and forth that really irritates those of us who despise triangles and the drama they ensue.

Overall I would recommend Ephemeral to anyone looking for an interesting read that is in a league of it's own. Addison Moore created a work that's certainly not like most Young/Mature Adult novels that you can find today. And it's got plenty of yummy boys in it to keep you entertained! Until the second book in the series makes it's appearance, check out Ephemeral and other Addison Moore titles! She's sure to stun.

~Book Crook Reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thank you April for the ~wonderful~ review!!! I can't thank you enough for hosting me. :) So glad you enjoyed the book~!

    ReplyDelete