Friday

ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins

TITLE: Anna and the French Kiss
AUTHOR: Stephanie Perkins
RATING: 5 Stars
PAGES: 372
PUBLISHER: Dutton Books
SERIES: Anna and the French Kiss, #1
SOURCE: Personal Library


Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited? 

(synopsis taken from Goodreads)

Let me start off by saying I absolutely adored this book. Anna was such a relatable character for me and she is easy to understand. She doesn't make you sit there and question her actions like some books do. Even though she's upset at first of being sent to Paris, France for her last year of high school by her father who's rather interested in creating an image within his peers by sending his only daughter to school without considering her feelings. What a jerk. Yet, going to France turns out to be the best thing to ever happen to Anna. 

Anna stays true to who she is, and she reacts in ways that most teenaged girls do. Being shipped to Paris for her Senior year in high school would be irritating for anyone who had so much going on for them back home. Anna does manage to adjust I mean, she is in the City of Light right? I love at how Anna is such an imperfect character. She's got her flaws. It makes her easier to relate to and really connect with. A gab between her teeth and a rebellious bleach stripe in her hair? I think that's why I ended up liking her so much. She's so real.

And oooh Etienne. I love the sound of his name when I read it and said it out loud. And Anna sums him up for us wonderfully. “I'm a little distracted by this English French American Boy Masterpiece.” And what a masterpiece Etienne is! I enjoyed following their relationship, it had everything a great romance has: complications, strange feelings, friendship, and finally love! I found myself rooting for Anna and Etienne, at times wanting to jump into the pages and smack Etienne when he was so obvious about his feelings yet held back on reacting on them. The chemistry between the two was amazing to watch develop also. I kept smiling every time they were together, waiting for the time they would both finally realize what was occurring between them. I loved the meaning of Point Zero and how the symbolism of it was closely related to their relationship. Instead of wishing on stars, they wish on kilometer zero by Notre Dame -sigh-. 

I happen to have many favorite parts in this book. I laughed out loud a lot and even quoted several of the lines to friends. I can say a part that has stuck with me the most is when Anna first comes to SOAP and realizes that she has to place her orders in French. I found these parts where she first noticed this and began taking chances on ordering to be humorous. I myself have been to France and have indeed attempted to order in French only to break into English! For those of you who have just as much trouble conquering a foreign language like me I'm sure you'll find this hilarious as well!

I'm a bit of a romanticist. I love love and all things involved and Anna and the French Kiss gives you a healthy dose of what it's like to fall in love and the challenges that come with it. Not every relationship is perfect and not every guy is a Prince Charming. But Etienne comes pretty darn close! This is perhaps one of my favorite reads because Anna, Etienne, and all their friends they have at SOAP are endearing characters. Stephanie Perkins shows us her talent for writing in this fun and witty read, and knows exactly how to keep a readers' attention! The language and slang used are appealing and humorous and not forced at all. Stephanie Perkin's debut book is enthralling and wonderful, an easy and light read perfect for all young adults and adults! I hope you enjoy Anna and the French Kiss as much as I did!


~Book Crook Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment